Smith Freed Eberhard is seeking an experienced civil litigation attorney to join our Portland office in our Construction Defect practice area.
Construction Defect includes: products liability, and defense of developers, general contractors and sub-contractors, against claims for breach of contract, and negligent construction.
Smith Freed Eberhard is a tier one litigation defense firm that specializes in multiple practice areas. Attorneys at the firm are consistently recognized by Martindale Hubbell, Best Lawyers, and Super Lawyers as being top-ranked trial lawyers. To find out more information about the firm, please visit our website at www.smithfreed.com
Smith Freed Eberhard offers a flexible and fun work environment. Collaboration between partners, associates, paralegals and staff is vital to serving our clients well. Our casual work environment allows you to deal with what needs to be done rather than keeping up appearances. Employees have the ability to participate in making the community a better place with pro bono, community service, and fundraising opportunities and activities. Smith Freed Eberhard provides the tools you need to succeed in your cases and your career.
Smith Freed Eberhard is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, military service obligations or other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
As an associate for Smith Freed Eberhard, you will have real responsibility from day one. Associates often manage cases from start to finish. They take and defend party, witness, and expert depositions, handle arbitrations, and argue motions. Candidates should be proactive, creative thinkers who are willing to put in the hard work to solve problems for our clients.
- Identifies, researches and analyzes legal issues and conflicting legal opinions; reviews legal authority cited by litigants; and conducts self-directed independent research as may be needed to further clarify issues and reach sound judicial decisions.
- Ability to draft pleadings, correspondence, memoranda and other documents.
Exhibits good judgment and organizational skills to receive, record and disseminate all information on behalf of the clients
- Provide legal representation of clients to protect their interests in defense of complex and high exposure litigation
- Explain litigation to those unfamiliar with the process, as well as make your case to judges, arbitrators, and opposing counsel
- Take charge of cases to move them toward cost effective, efficient, and fair resolutions.
- Able to juggle multiple assignments and/or deadlines while maintaining a professional demeanor and seeks assistance when needed.
- Routinely reviews and follows-up on client deadlines and calendar appointments.
- Has an understanding of client-specific billing guidelines and consistently applies those guidelines to ensure cost-effective practices.
- Provide assistance on the handling of other attorneys’ files when needed
Firm Values: One Firm, One Team, One Direction
- We coach, mentor and provide feedback to one another
- We maintain a growth mindset and avoid complacency
- We lead with innovation and hard work
- We embrace change and ideas from everyone
- We work together to innovate and achieve winning solutions
- We learn from our collective successes and experiences
- We encourage teamwork on every task no matter how big or how small
- We show empathy towards our colleagues, clients and communities
- We celebrate wins and learn from losses
- We listen to all voices fairly
- We communicate openly, directly and respectfully
- We commit to fun, family and a healthy work-life balance
- We are inclusive of diverse ideas, viewpoints and people
- We support each other and our community at large
Benefits & Perks
- 100% firm-paid healthcare benefits package including Medical, Dental, and Vision
- Voluntary Insurances including STD, LTD, Life Insurance ($10,000 employer paid Life Insurance)
- 401k plan with employer contribution
- Paid Parental Leave
- 50% Mass transit reimbursement
- Firm paid Bar Association fees, CLE fees, PLF dues, and applicable memberships
- Black Belt Trial Advocacy Training – visit website for more information
- Luncheon Learns & Trial Talks
- Data plan reimbursement
- Attorney retreats & monthly happy hours
- Work from home opportunities, as well as billing on-the-go platforms
- Relaxation massage
- Bonus opportunities
- Mentorship Programs
- Firm provided coffee, snacks, and bi-monthly lunches
- Great office views of the city
The ideal candidate for this position is an attorney with 3+ years of experience in construction defect litigation who has demonstrated the ability to handle complex assignments in a lead role, work independently, have excellent research, writing, communication and interpersonal skills, handle a variety of tasks simultaneously, and be a member of the Oregon State Bar in good standing and/or recent graduation with Juris Doctor Degree from an ABA accredited school.
Nice to haves
- Experience within civil litigation.
- Experience handling depositions, mediations, and arbitrations.
- Experience billing for your time.