Smith Freed Eberhard is seeking a float legal assistant to join our Portland office. Smith Freed Eberhard is a tier one litigation defense firm that specializes in multiple practice areas. Attorneys at the firm are consistently recognized by Martindale Hubbell, Best Lawyers, and Super Lawyers as being top-ranked trial lawyers.
Personal lines includes: automotive liability, premises liability, wrongful death, underinsured motorist
(UM), uninsured motorist (UIM), and personal injury protection (PIP).
Commercial litigation includes: defense of large loss claims for personal injury, wrongful death, and
property damage, and includes claims for premise liability, products liability, liquor liability, trucking
accidents, defamation, plus a variety of other business related torts.
Construction Defect includes: Products liability, and defense of developers, general contractors and sub-contractors, against claims for breach of contract, and negligent construction.
Smith Freed Eberhard offers a flexible and fun work environment. Collaboration between partners, associates, paralegals and staff is vital to serving our clients well. Our casual work environment allows you to deal with what needs to be done rather than keeping up appearances. Employees have the ability to participate in making the community a better place with pro bono, community service, and fundraising opportunities and activities. Smith Freed Eberhard provides the tools you need to succeed in your cases and your career.
Firm Values: One Firm, One Team, One Direction
- We coach, mentor and provide feedback to one another
- We maintain a growth mindset and avoid complacency
- We lead with innovation and hard work
- We embrace change and ideas from everyone
- We work together to innovate and achieve winning solutions
- We learn from our collective successes and experiences
- We encourage teamwork on every task no matter how big or how small
- We show empathy towards our colleagues, clients and communities
- We celebrate wins and learn from losses
- We listen to all voices fairly
- We communicate openly, directly and respectfully
- We commit to fun, family and a healthy work-life balance
- We are inclusive of diverse ideas, viewpoints and people
- We support each other and our community at large
Compensation and Benefits
- Compensation commensurate with education and experience.
- Great office views of the city
- In house litigation training
- Bonus opportunities
- Well rounded benefits package including Health, Dental, FSA, STD, LTD, Life Insurance, 401k, and profit sharing
- Mass transit reimbursement
- Flexible work schedule
- Parking reimbursement
- Meditation room
- Firm provided coffee and snacks
Smith Freed Eberhard is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, military service obligations, traits historically associated with race, including but not limited to hair texture and protective hairstyles or other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
The float legal assistant position will provide support to the legal assistants, attorneys, and firm. This position is responsible for maintaining the legal practice management software, Litify, and ensuring documents are easy to locate. The litigation assistant role requires someone who has a strong attention to detail and is ability to multitask. The primary focus will be on file management and file analysis and will also provide back-up assistance to others for coverage.
- Provides excellent client service
- Ability to draft standard pleadings, correspondence, memoranda and other documents.
- Possesses strong assistant skills including typing, transcribing, word processing, mail and contact management in all of the firm’s systems and databases.
- Accurately files court documents both electronically and in document form and able to determine and follow any local or judge specific requirements related to same.
- Exhibits sound judgment and organizational skills to receive, record and disseminate all information on behalf of the clients and assigned attorneys (e.g., mail, interoffice mail, email, etc.)
- Regularly anticipates the needs of assigned attorneys in order to promote timekeeper efficiencies (i.e., drafts correspondence, prepares shell pleading and discovery documents in advance).
- Routinely reviews and follows-up on client deadlines and calendar appointments.
- Coordinates and makes necessary arrangements for meetings (i.e., depositions, mediations, interviews, and vendor and facility reservations).
- Regularly and consistently updates client files, notebooks, and pleading indices.
- Maintains attorney specific case lists, charts, and status of cases and outcomes.
- Consistently updates all applicable contact records (including attorney’s outlook and firm database).
- Timely reviews, follows-up on, and accurately files client-related emails.
- Able to juggle multiple assignments and/or deadlines while maintaining a professional demeanor and timely seeks assistance when needed.
- Performs e-filings, prepare pleadings notebooks, update indexes and prepare exhibits.
- Maintain and organize files in an orderly manner.
- Timely reviews and ensures accuracy of vendor invoices; prepares accurate check requests and timely submits invoices for payment to client or accounting.
- Possesses knowledge of client-specific billing guidelines and restrictions and consistently applies those guidelines to ensure cost-effective practices.