Smith Freed Eberhard is seeking a civil litigation associate to join our Portland office in our Commercial litigation practice area.
Commercial litigation includes: defense of large loss claims for personal injury, wrongful death, and property damage, and includes claims for premise liability, products liability, liquor liability, trucking accidents, defamation, plus a variety of other business related torts.
Smith Freed Eberhard is a tier one litigation defense firm that specializes in multiple practice areas. Attorneys at the firm are consistently recognized by Martindale Hubbell, Best Lawyers, and Super Lawyers as being top-ranked trial lawyers. To find out more information about the firm, please visit our website at www.smithfreed.com.
As an associate for Smith Freed Eberhard, you will have real responsibility from day one. Associates often manage cases from start to finish. They take and defend party, witness, and expert depositions, handle arbitrations, and argue motions. Candidates should be proactive, creative thinkers who are willing to put in the hard work to solve problems for our clients.
- Identifies, researches and analyzes legal issues and conflicting legal opinions; reviews legal authority cited by litigants; and conducts self-directed independent research as may be needed to further clarify issues and reach sound judicial decisions.
- Ability to draft pleadings, correspondence, memoranda and other documents.
- Exhibits good judgment and organizational skills to receive, record and disseminate all information on behalf of the clients.
- Provide legal representation of clients to protect their interests in defense of complex and high exposure litigation.
- Explain litigation to those unfamiliar with the process, as well as make your case to judges, arbitrators, and opposing counsel.
- Take charge of cases to move them toward cost effective, efficient, and fair resolutions.
- Able to juggle multiple assignments and/or deadlines while maintaining a professional demeanor and seeks assistance when needed.
- Routinely reviews and follows-up on client deadlines and calendar appointments.
- Has an understanding of client-specific billing guidelines and consistently applies those guidelines to ensure cost-effective practices.
- Provide assistance on the handling of other attorneys’ files when needed.
- Fosters Teamwork – provides assistance, information and/or support to others. Listens and responds constructively to other team members and their ideas.
- Manages Change – recognizes inefficiencies and plans, develops, and executes change.
- Effective Communication – expresses ideas clearly and concisely through verbal and written communications. Uses proper grammar and punctuation.
- Analytical Thinker – The ability to tackle a problem by using a logical, systematic approach.
- Initiative: Identifying what needs to be done and doing it before being asked or before the situation requires it.
- Flexibility – Openness to different and new ways of doing things; willingness to modify one’s preferred way of doing things.
- Compensation commensurate with education and experience.
- Great office views of the city
- In house litigation training
- Bonus opportunities
- Mentorship Programs
- Well rounded benefits package including Health, Dental, FSA, STD, LTD, Life Insurance, 401k, and profit sharing
- Mass transit reimbursement
- Competitive billable goals
- Flexible work schedule
- Attorney retreats
- Relaxation Massage
- Meditation room
- Firm provided coffee and snacks
- VPN – Virtual private network
- On The Go billing technology
The ideal candidate for this position is an attorney with at least 4 years of experience who has demonstrated the ability to handle complex assignments in a lead role, work independently, have excellent research, writing, communication skills, and handle a variety of tasks simultaneously. Candidates must be a member of the Oregon State Bar in good standing and/or recent graduation with Juris Doctor Degree from an ABA accredited school.
Nice to haves