First and Third Party/SIU
Smith Freed & Eberhard has been defending insurance companies from insurance fraud for the past 25 years. The firm provides its clients with an extensive First Party Insurance Fraud practice devoted to the investigation, analysis and litigation of suspicious claims.
Our special investigations unit attorneys (SIU) have the specialized expertise and ability to provide coverage analysis of suspicious claims and possess the trial experience needed to defend and litigate all aspects of first and third-party fraudulent litigation claims in arbitrations and trials.
In addition, our fraud litigation practice has the unique position of providing its clients with SIU litigation attorneys who come from backgrounds as former police officers, district attorneys and the NICB (National Insurance Crime Bureau) with specialized experience in handling matters such as: arson and suspicious property loss claims, fraudulent personal injury accident claims and inflated and unreasonable medical payments claims.
Members of the SIU insurance fraud litigation team have conducted literally thousands of depositions and examinations under oath (EUO). They have conducted bench and jury trials and are familiar with all methods of evaluating, litigating and resolving suspected insurance fraud claims, as well as the necessity of complying with governmental regulatory requirements.
Services provided by Smith Freed & Eberhard's Insurance Fraud and SIU Litigation Defense Team include:
- Arbitrations and mediations
- Claims handling and administration
- Declaratory Relief Actions
- Defense of extra-contractual claims
- Defense of suspected fraudulent bodily injury claims and staged accidents
- Evaluation, investigation and defense of fraudulent property claims (including arson and theft)
- Examinations under oath
- First and third party coverage analysis
- First and third-party jury and bench trials
- Insurance regulation and compliance
- Inter-company insurance disputes
- Interpleader and restitution litigation
- Jury and bench trials
- Medical payments coverage claims and analysis (including up-coding, over billings, unnecessary procedures and other fraudulent practices.
- RICO litigation
- Service as expert witnesses and consultants
- UM/UIM Litigation and Arbitrations Insurer restitution for Corporate Practice of Medicine violations and billing fraud (medical and chiropractic)
View our First and Third Party/SIU success stories here.